Occupy our front steps!
Outside, North side, Constitution Avenue entrance
Google Institute portraits of disability rights leaders of Kathy Martinez and Tia Nelis commemorate the 1990 “Capital Crawl” protest when activists put aside their wheelchairs and crutches and crawled up the steps of the US Capital to make a dramatic point.
Smithsonian’s Festival ADA: 25 Years of Disability Civil Rights
Noon - 4:45 PM
Outside, South Side, Madison Drive
- Accessible Communications: Federal Communications Commission, Federal Emergency Management Administration, Convo Communications, iCanConnect
- Accessible Travel: Department of Transportation, American Bus Association, Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority, Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind, Easter Seals
- ADA25 Legacy Bus and Disability Rights Museum on Wheels: July 26 only. The legendary Bus, driven by photographer Tom Olin, has been traveling the US for many months. Today it recreates the 144-mile Stolen Lives March from Philadelphia to Washington, DC.
- Americans with Disabilities Act Information: Department of Justice
- Assistive Technology: Administration for Community Living, National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research
- Deaf Space and Accessible Architecture: Gallaudet University
- Employment: Job Accommodation Network, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Family Activities: John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Smithsonian National Postal Museum. Music workshop on July 24; Dance workshop on July 25; Theater workshop on July 26
- Gaming: AbleGamers
- Human Engineering: Human Engineering Research Laboratories, University of Pittsburgh
- Navigation Technology Beacon: International Business Machines Corp.
- Arrow Race Car: Indy driver Sam Schmidt’s adapted Corvette C7 Stingray
- Service Animals
- Traveling Museum on the history of disability rights link:
- U.S. Postal Service Stamp Cancellation: special cancellation stamp and decorative envelopes for the ADA, you can design your own postcard or purchase the special cachet, purchase a postage stamp, and mail your epistle stamped with ADA25
- Noon ADA 25th Anniversary Party
Pierce Bush, Lex Frieden
- 12:10 Signing of the ADA: The Ceremony on the White House Lawn
Congressman Tony Coelho (CA), Senator Tom Harkin (IA), Elizabeth Savage, Pat Wright.
Moderator: Carolyn Osolinik
- 1:00 Section 504, Eugenics, and Institutionalization
Susan Burch, Marilyn Golden, Brian Greenwald, Judith Heumann, Kim Nielsen. Moderator: Joe Shapiro
- 2:00 Deaf Space and Accessible Architecture
Hansel Bauman, Jack Catlin, Christopher Hoffmann. Moderator: Valerie Fletcher,
- 3:00 Paralympics and Sports Inclusion
Cheri Blauwet, Ann Cody, Eli Wolff. Moderator: Jim Welch, ret. USA Today Sports
- 4:00 Looking Forward after the First 25 Years: The Youth Perspective